Search for a recipe

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Chickpea Curry

This curry turned out so yummy and I hope you enjoy it as well.

Chickpea Curry

2 Tbsp Olive oil
a pinch of whole cardamom seeds
a pinch of ground ginger
a pinch of ground mustard
a pinch of turmeric
a pinch of garam masala
a large pinch of cumin
a pinch of coriander
2 whole dry red chilies
5 cloves of garlic minced
1 whole yellow onion diced
4 roma tomatoes diced
2 cups of chickpeas
Water to keep pan from burning
Salt to taste

I heated the oil in my pan and added all of my spices to it. I let the spices start to pop a bit, before I added the onion and garlic. Cook the onion until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add water as needed to keep pan from burning. Add the roma tomatoes and let them cook down. You will once again need to periodically add water to help with the cooking down of the tomatoes. Once the tomatoes have broken down, add the chickpeas and let simmer for about 10 minutes. You may need to add some water again, but not so much that you end up diluting the curry. Taste your curry and add salt as needed. I put in a small handful. Also if your curry isn't as flavorful as you would like, you can add a bit more cumin till the flavor seems right to you. Take out the Chili pods and enjoy over whatever grain you choose. Just one small note, if you do not want this dish spicy at all, omit the chili pods or for a milder curry, you can take the chili pods out earlier in the cooking process, rather than at the end. I am sorry for the estimated amounts on the spices, but this is how I cook curry. It is never exact and I always have to taste it along the way to get it the way I want it. If you have any questions, please ask me in the comments or by e-mail.
Peace, Yasmin

No comments:

Post a Comment